Monday, July 6, 2009

Telling our Families: 4th of July Weekend!

We waited on pins and needles until the 4th of July Weekend when we were finally able to tell our families in person that we are expecting. I was planning on going to Bakersfield by myself the weekend before, to run some errands and see the dogs while Jarrett was in meetings at the West LA Campus, but after we found out we were expecting, Jarrett told me "No way! You're a bad fibber and have never been good at keeping a secret...especially one this big -- your family will find out for sure! You have to wait until next weekend so I can go with you!"

Albeit, dramatic -- he's right. The good news is that extra weekend gave us time to plan how we were going to tell our families during the upcoming 4th of July Weekend. My Mom's birthday is June 29th, so finding a way to tell her was easy....we gave her a 'birthday gift' and inside was a "Grandma" wall sign and some baby bibs. When she opened her birthday present, she was so surprised, then she started crying and there were hugs all around. We told my Grandma next, giving her a little 'gift' for her "beach house" -- it was a picture frame that said "Great-Grandparents warm little hearts"..... and inside the frame part we wrote "Arriving February 2010". Although she took her time opening it, when she finally did, she was so excited; she cried and then I looked over and my Mom who was crying again (which made me cry again, too). We all went to dinner at Benji's Basque restaurant to celebrate Mom's birthday and our surprise.

On July 4th, we woke up that morning at my Dad's house and we got to surprise him. We found a cute coffee mug that said "In case of emergency, call 1-800-GRANDPA". We thought this would be perfect for a fireman grandpa! :) He always gets up early, and has a cup of coffee before we even wake up. Then after we wake up, he then has his 2nd cup. When we got up, I grabbed his empty mug and replaced it with the new 'grandpa' mug. I brought it in and sat it next to his lazyboy and he immediately noticed the difference, and said "Ah...isn't that cute." And that was it. Jarrett and I looked at each other, and Jarrett said, "Surprise! Katie's due in February!" The look of shock that swept across his face was priceless; he was definitely surprised. He started laughing (and crying a little, too) and said he thought the mug was from our dogs, Jackson and Roxy as a belated Father's Day present! LOL.

Shortly after, we told Carol. We showed up early at her house for the holiday BBQ, bringing a box of Smith's cookies. Jarrett said, "I know you said not to bring anything, but we didn't want to show up empty handed and I've been wanting some Smith's cookies..... but I'm not sure what kind they put in there, since all I asked for was an assortment." Carol looked as if she was going to open the box filled with baby-themed cookies, (all with little booties, bottles, rattles, and carriages in pastel yellow, pink, greens, and blues) but then she went into the other room instead, as if on a hunt for her glasses. When she walked back into the great room, she sat down on the couch to visit, as if she got side-track with why she went looking for her glasses in the first place. ;o) - all with little yellow, pink, blue, and green rattlers, booties, bottles and carriages then forgot what she was doing and sat down to visit. Jarrett and I looked at each other, and I made the comment, "Gee, I wonder what kind of cookies they put in there?" Carol got up and got a knife out, cut the top of the box and peeked in. It was pretty dark since the side corners were still taped shut, so she pulled out one of the cookies, stared at it, then looked at Jarrett with an expression of confusion. So Jarrett said, "Surprise! We're expecting!" Her eyes suddenly turned from curiosity, to shock & joy, then glistened with happy tears.

On our way home on Sunday, Jarrett called Sarah to give her the good news. What made the occasion so special is that Sarah and her husband, Peter, called us exactly one-year earlier (July 5, 2008) to tell let us they were expecting their own bundle of joy, Nathaniel Hamilton Morris (our godson). Who would have thought that on July 5, 2009 we'd be making that exact phone call to them?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment