We concluded our trip a day early because my sweet Grandma was in the hospital with a blood clot in her lungs. We were able to get an early flight and come home to see her on Saturday. She is doing much better, Praise God! I am so thankful I was able to come home to be with her :)
Monday, October 4, 2010
Washington DC
Let me just say, I love when Jarrett has conferences. Actually, I love when I can tag a long with him to his conferences. This past week he had a conference in Washington DC, a city I have never been to and have always wanted to go to. Lindsay and I snuck into his suitcase and here are some of the things we saw...
Mount Vernon... Washington's home overlooking the Potomac River
This was on the veranda (I love using that word instead of porch... so much cooler!) The view was amazing. There are a group of ladies who actually protect the view... no one in Maryland (across the river) can build a home or structure within the view of Mt. Vernon. Their goal was to preserve the view as Washington saw it... definitely a nice place to build a home :)
Here is a sweet neighborhood in Alexandria, VA. I loved the row houses. They all have flags on their homes...too cute.
Had to post a picture of Lincoln Monument... went to the Smithsonian and saw a great exhibit on Lincoln; got to see his infamous top hat!
The Capitol
Outside the Capitol with my girl
Inside one of the rooms in the Capitol... I think she was waving to Daddy taking the picture.
WWII Memorial... When I got home I had so many mosquito bites and I couldn't figure out where I got them. Notice all the water in the background.... I am pretty sure there was a mosquito biting me when this pic was taken.
View of the National Mall facing the Washington Monument.... gorgeous.
Daddy and Lindsay in front of the Dinosaur Exhibit in the Smithsonian... She was more interested in the aquarium than the bones.
What a great kid we have! She was such a trooper; she walked with us in the rain, went with us on the subway and toured all the historic sites with her nerdy parents.
Here is Colonial Williamsburg... it was really cool to see an actual colonial village. It was a little bit annoying that most of the house tours were guided; those aren't good for babies we discovered.
Favorite moment: This pic is horrible, but we had to take it. We took a scenic drive to Annapolis and drove across the Chesapeake Bay... unfortunately, it was pouring rain and we got stuck on a peninsula after they closed the bridge. We decided to stop for an early dinner and saw a cute little restaurant on one of the docks. We were the only patrons inside the restaurant except for a group of salty sea dogs (ie boat captains/fisherman) at the bar. As we ate our lunch...I had a spectacular Cream of Crab soup... we listened to the seamen drunkenly singing a few favorites like "Yellow Submarine" and "Sweet Child of Mine"... it was a fun memory.
We concluded our trip a day early because my sweet Grandma was in the hospital with a blood clot in her lungs. We were able to get an early flight and come home to see her on Saturday. She is doing much better, Praise God! I am so thankful I was able to come home to be with her :)
We concluded our trip a day early because my sweet Grandma was in the hospital with a blood clot in her lungs. We were able to get an early flight and come home to see her on Saturday. She is doing much better, Praise God! I am so thankful I was able to come home to be with her :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad you had a great trip! DC is by far one of my favorite cities in the US. I love Mt Vernon too, so fun!
ReplyDeleteI hope your Grandma continues to improve Katie!
ReplyDeleteI like when Jarrett has conferences too because sometimes that means I get to see you guys!
That "romantic walk" picture totally reminds me of Legally Blonde 2, when they walk through the cherry trees after the wedding. I've always wanted to go to DC when the cherry trees were blooming... Hmm... maybe a trip in the spring! :)